This was the last weekend of winter break and I must say I am a bit relieved my son is going back to school tomorrow. I love having him home but with all the neighborhood kids constantly running in and out of the house playing it is hard to, 1. get anything productive done 2. have any alone time 3. listen to my music of choice, lol. Since I have been feeling a little behind I was in need of an easy, yet cozy meal. I get my Imperfect Produce delivery Saturday mornings to help replenish my fridge and pantry for the weekend without having to run to the store, which is such a life saver. Plus, I got most of the items I needed for this cheesy broccoli rice bake.
I’m always on the hunt to find new ways to get the most bang for my buck and produce less waste by utilizing all of my fruits and vegetables. One of my favorite ways to use my broccoli stalks is to make broccoli slaw. But in this recipe we will be incorporating both the broccoli florets and stalks by making broccoli rice. Watch your back cauliflower, broccoli is coming for ya…
Vegan, Gluten free – Serves 6 – Total bake time 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups short grain brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 broccoli stalks florets cut into small to med pieces & stalks chopped into broccoli rice
- 1 tsp pink salt
Cheese sauce (makes 3 cups)
- 2 cups potatoes peeled & chopped
- 1 cup carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp pink salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Add short grain brown rice, vegetable broth, garlic, onion and salt to a 13 x 9 baking dish or something similar in size.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Boil carrots and potatoes until soft.
- Strain carrots and potatoes.
- Toss all cheese sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until you come to a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Prepare the broccoli by cutting the tops into small-med sized florets.
- Cut the stalks in half or in quarters and toss them into a food processor(or blender), pulse until the stalks are chopped into rice-sized pieces.
- After your rice has been baking for 45 minutes, take the baking dish out of the oven and fold in 1 1/2 cups of cheese sauce and broccoli rice. Mix well. Then top the rice mixture with the florets.
- Cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Once the rice is done baking, drizzle the top with the desired amount of cheese sauce and enjoy!