Although the Holidays are over, my son is still on winter break. I love having him home from school but trying to keep him busy and catch up from traveling, house guests, life and household duties, I am having a bit of a difficult time balancing it all and getting back into my daily routine. Anyone else with me on this? With all that being said, I have not been in the kitchen as much as I would like to and needed a quick and easy meal idea. As I was looking around in my bare fridge trying to figure out what the heck to make for dinner, all the pieces came together when I realized with what little I had, I always have Mexican flavors! So I busted out my Instant Pot and got to work with a one pot meal. This dish can be served as a main, side or vegan taco filling. It makes about 8 cups.
- 1 can or 1/2 cup of dried black beans (makes 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 2 1/2 cups of quinoa
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper diced (about half the pepper)
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes (I used canned but always check for BPA free cans)
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of pink salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Cilantro and extra lime for topping, maybe some hot sauce if you like it spicy
- Skip this step if using canned beans: Cook dried black bean in Instant Pot for for 15 minutes, when cooked strain and rinse, set black beans aside. (15 minutes slightly undercooks the beans, they will be cooked thoroughly with quinoa)
- In your empty Instant Pot, add the avocado oil and use the sauté function to sauté the garlic, onions and green pepper for about 3 minutes.
- Toss in diced tomatoes, lime juice and spices, stir well.
- Add the quinoa and the black beans to the pot, stir until all quinoa and beans are coated with spices.
- lastly, add 4 cups of water to the pot, stir, close the lid and cook on high pressure for 1 minute, then letting your instant pot naturally release pressure.
- When your Instant Pot is ready to be opened, stir quinoa and serve adding extra flavor like cilantro, green onions, hot sauce or extra lime.